Select a language:

How to Obtain a Pet License

Animal collor with tagNot all cities in Orange County are serviced by OC Animal Care. Dog licenses for residents in cities not served by OC Animal Care must be obtained from their city's animal control agency. (see area shelter list)

OC Animal Care provides licensing for the following cities - Please click on your city to view your licensing fees
CypressYorba Linda
Fountain ValleySan Juan Capistrano
FullertonLake Forest
Huntington BeachTustin
Villa Park 
Unincorporated County Areas 

Each contract city within the County has different zoning requirements regarding the number of animals it allows per property. The majority of our contract cities and unincorporated county areas require you to obtain an Animal Permit from OC Animal Care for properties that keep or maintain more than three cats and/or three dogs. Some contract cities have zoning requirements that do not allow for Animal Permits in their city. It is your responsibility to be familiar with your city’s zoning requirements. You can obtain more information on the animal permitting process by visiting our Animal Permits page or by checking directly with your city.

All dogs in Orange County over the age of four months are required by law to be licensed and vaccinated against rabies. Residents owning or having custody of any dog must license the dog within 15 days of acquisition or within 15 days after the license becomes due. Residents must provide proof of a California approved rabies vaccination to obtain a license (OCCO 4-1-70). 

Cat licensing is optional and available through OC Animal Care.

Licensing your dog provides necessary information to support investigations of cruelty, neglect, abandonment and dog bites. Licensing also indicates ownership of a dog. If your dog is found, OC Animal Care will call and send you a letter.   For more information on licensing, please call 714-935-6848.

License fees

To view your city's licensing fees, click on your city in the table above.

Discounted license fees are offered to owners of sterilized dogs that provide a proof of sterility certificate signed by a licensed veterinarian.

Senior citizen discount fees are offered with proof of sterility certificate and a copy of any document showing the birth date of the person (i.e. Driver's License, California ID or birth certificate). Multiple discounts are allowed per household; however more than three must apply for an animal permit if allowed in their jurisdiction. All licenses must be renewed annually.

Pet Licensing Form

License Your Pet Online
Print an Application
Print an Application (Lake Forest Residents ONLY)
Print an Application (Fullerton Residents ONLY)
Print an Application (Orange residents ONLY) 

Enclose with the application or scan and email

  • Applicable Fees (payable with check or money order to: OC Animal Care)
  • Proof of Sterility (if applicable)
  • Rabies Vaccination Certificate (Note: Veterinary receipts for vaccination will not be accepted as proof of vaccination and will delay the license application process)
  • Proof of age for senior citizens (if applicable)

Mail the completed application and the required documents from the list above to:

OC Animal Care, Licensing Department
1630 Victory Road
Tustin, CA 92782

Assistance Dog Application

The Assistance Animal designation in Orange County is in compliance with the U.S. Department of Justice's definition of Service Animals. The County designates dogs as Service Animals when they have been individually trained to do work or perform physical tasks for people with disabilities. Service Animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person's disability. To request this designation, the Assistance Dog Application should be completed and submitted to:

OC Animal Care, Licensing Department
1630 Victory Road
Tustin, CA 92782

Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as Service Animals under the American Disability Act (ADA) and Orange County does not designate or recognize these animals as such.

Below are some documents and a website to help answer some of the questions you may have regarding this designation.

Transfer of Ownership

Do you have a new pet that you received from someone else (including a family member)?  Are you planning on giving your pet away to someone else (including a family member)?  Please complete the transfer ownership form. Please follow all instructions provided and contact OC Animal Care with any questions you may have.

Transfer of Ownership

Transfer of Ownership Affidavit

Animal Permits

Do you have more than three dogs or cats and need an animal permit?  If so, please visit the Animal Permits page for more information.